Friday, January 26, 2007

Day 26

Today's Lesson:

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.
I know today's lesson makes sense, because this Course is nothing if it's not logical. But sometimes it's difficult for me to grasp the logic. So I'll take a try at unraveling today's lesson here. If I believe attack is possible, then I am vulnerable. That is because I really believe I am capable of attacking someone else. But what would affect someone else must also have effects on me. So instead of using this principle against what would be in my own best interest, I need to focus on how I can use this law for my own best interest.

If attack thoughts must mean that I am vulnerable, the effect of those thoughts is to weaken me in my own eyes. They will have attacked my perception of myself. If this is the case, I must believe in my attack thoughts instead of in myself. So every effect - vulnerability, attack, everything - is the result of my own thoughts.

Realizing that any distressing or upsetting thought that comes into my mind is actually an attack upon myself is the key to today's lesson. Spending time thinking about any attack thought and the possible outcomes of those upsetting thoughts will allow me to separate my thoughts from the attack. Nothing but my own thoughts can attack me. Nothing but my thoughts can make me think I am vulnerable. And nothing but my thoughts can prove to me this is not so.

Miracles I'm noticing:

Yesterday I was working on preparations for a retreat I'm going to be facilitating today. But I also had two meetings scheduled in the afternoon with other people. I went to a coffee shop about an hour before my first scheduled meeting. I had taken my computer so I could work on the slides for today's presentation. About a half hour before my meeting was scheduled, I thought to myself that I wished I had an extra hour before the meeting because I had about an hour more work than I anticipated. I knew I would just have to stop in the middle of my slides while I had this meeting and the next one, and pick it up afterwards and finish the presentation.

About 10 minutes later an e-mail popped up from the person I was scheduled to meet with in 20 minutes telling me she would need to reschedule our meeting. I found myself with an extra hour before my next meeting. Coincidence? Miracle? I choose to believe so. This Course says there is no order of difficulty in miracles. The Secret says our own beliefs about the power of the Law of Attraction sometimes limit the miracles that appear to be available to us. The Secret suggests we start small - like with a cup of coffee, or a parking space, or by thinking about someone we haven't thought about for a while. If you really focus your thoughts, the Law of Attraction says that there is science behind the effects, which will show up as someone buying you a cup of coffee, getting a close parking spot, or hearing that person's name come up in seemingly random fashion.

What used to happen to me was that I would want to believe in something, but there would always be this little voice of cynicism and doubt in my mind saying "this will never work" and - so be it - it wouldn't work. I'd get to be right every time. What didn't occur to me at that time was that I could be right about believing it would work, too. It just appeared easier to default to the negative.

Now I find that defaulting to the positive is much more automatic for me. I don't have as many attack thoughts - and if I do, I notice them much more quickly (thank goodness for the Law of Gestation which gives me that time delay before the thoughts manifest!).

I just noticed that I refer to The Secret and also this Course a lot in my conversations. It's not unlike my references to The Landmark Forum. For me those have been really significant signposts in my own life. Landmark was my first exposure to a lot of this new way of thinking, so for me that was my wake-up call and I compare a lot of my thinking to Landmark simply because it was my first reference. The same is true of both A Course in Miracles and The Secret - each represents a quantum jumping off point for me in old thought patterns. I just want to give credit where it is due in my own life and am in no way suggesting or even implying that anyone else need follow the same path.

What are you noticing in your own life? Where are all those coincidences? Just noticing them might shed some light on what isn't and also what is working in your life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am back again- but just had to share this- my bosses son went into the hospital today- for kidney failure- he is a firefighter and was at a training exercise- during the training one of the things they do is check blood pressure- and his was 200 something over 100 something- VERY dangerous-so they rushed him to the hospital- turns out that he had a blockage and his system was backing up- long story short they found out what was wrong- he is a very big guy so the normal signs of getting puffy and his body swelling up was not apparent- so I see the miracle of his being in his training and one of the rules was to moniter blood pressure- otherwise who knows what the outcome would have been- Everything does happen for a reason!

Anonymous said...

the lesson for today talks about our thoughts attacking our invulnerablity. However, don't we connect at a point of vulnerability. if we open ourselves up, put ourselves out there with honesty and vulnerability people respond, we connect and a shift happens. I have experienced this time and again. Just wondering what others think about this.
Gina

Jodee Bock said...

Gina & Jodie: Thanks for commenting here! Jodie - great example of a miracle! Gina: I guess the way I read the lesson is using the term "vulnerability" as "able to be attacked." If we built a dike to hold back floodwaters and it wasn't very sturdy, we might say it is vulnerable to the forces of the river. I think you're right - it's at that point of vulnerability that we can really open up to help and support. So I think it really might be about the context we think of when we use the term "vulnerable." Great point for more dialogue!