Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Day 9

Today's Lesson:

I see nothing as it is now.
Obviously this follows the previous lessons. If I see nothing as it is now, it would stand to reason that there is more to everything I see than whatever I might think. This calls for a much more open mind than I might have previously brought to any situation.

I love that it says in today's lesson that, although "you may be able to accept this information intellectually, it is unlikely that it will mean anything to you as yet. However, understanding is not necessary at this point. In fact, the recognition that you do not understand is a prerequisite for undoing your false ideas. These exercises are concerned with practice, not with understanding. You do not need to practice what you already understand."

I'm thinking about how this applies to the supervisory training I'm providing this week. We practice a new technique for solving problems with people, and although they may not understand why there is so much repetition, it makes sense if we consider that they don't need to practice what they already understand.

One "assignment" I gave to yesterday's class participants was to "notice what they notice" - in other words, just be aware of what draws your attention. It will be interesting to see what they noticed - and to ask myself the same question this week.

I'll post more tomorrow morning after tonight's second week of our Course study.

No comments: