Thursday, January 25, 2007

Day 25

Today's Lesson:

I do not know what anything is for.
This lesson builds on yesterday's lesson. If I don't perceive my own best interests, it is because I perceive everything through the eyes of my ego and my ego is not me. Because I think my ego is me, I can't understand what anything is for. The goals I perceive are concerned with my own "personal" interests. Since I (the me that is not my ego) have no personal interests, my goals are really based on nothing - and I really have no goals at all. So I (the me that is not my ego) do not know what anything is for.

The lesson takes this one step deeper. It says that on the most superficial level I do understand purpose. The example it uses is a telephone. I do know that a telephone is for the purpose of talking to someone who is not physically present with me. But what I do not understand is what I want to reach him for. And this is what makes contact with him meaningful or not.

This lessons helps reinforce the belief that nothing means anything - there is no "good" or "bad" or "right" or "wrong." Again, it helps me recognize the judgments that naturally occur when I don't pay attention to my thoughts.

Miracles I'm noticing:

Dave and I met for dinner last night and had a wonderful conversation about a book he's working on. Dave is the kind of friend who - although we don't see each other all that often because he lives in Kentucky - when we do get together we can just pick up where we left off. There is very little superficial small talk with us and it's such a breath of fresh air to spend time with him. Although Dave isn't studying A Course in Miracles, we can still talk about many of the concepts on a level that most people don't just pick up and talk. We talked quite a bit about ego and spirit and other Course themes and it's so great to know there are people out there who want to engage in bigger small talk!

In addition, yesterday Jen and I met for coffee and had a great conversation about some of these concepts (Jen is in my Course study group). It's so wonderful to be able to share authentic communication without fear (or at least being able to identify the fear and not keep it hidden). Jen and I created a very meaningful dialogue because we are both studying messages like today's - noticing when ego gets in the way and noticing when fear holds us back. We are both able to do that for each other, and each of us grows in the process. This is another indication to me that both my personal mission (Inviting Bigger Small Talk) and my 2007 intention (Listen and Allow) are at work in my life!

I invite anyone reading this blog to share the miracles you are seeing in your own lives. When we talk about miracles here we mean "a shift in perception from fear to love." What are you noticing in your life?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also in the group- I am the other Jodie :) - the things I have noticed more than anything is the calm feeling I have within myself- fear is that feeling I still have at times but can recognize so much faster and let go of. We had a wonderful conversation the other night about children and fear- I have been playing with that thought around my four year old son- he had built a ramp using a piece of wood and a storage container and another round container and thought that he should try to walk across it like at the circus. So instead of telling him no if it falls you will get hurt I just watched him for a minute- probably one of the longest minutes (its hard for me to keep my mouth shut! :) ) and without my saying a thing he went and got his bean bag to put under the middle of the board and made it a much safer platform to try and walk acros-and instead of walking he crawled- and was fine- he played on it for a couple minutes and then went back to racing his cars on it, using it as the ramp him and his dad built it for. Soooo fear comes to me in all different ways,however what a great lesson to me about not putting that fear into my kids- but trusting them to explore and discover life and the world-imagine growing up into a world of no fear-

Jodee Bock said...

Jodie:

What a great example of how this miracle-mindedness manifests in real life! I know your kids are going to test you at times, but that's what it is: a test. You passed with flying colors! Way to go! And thanks so much for sharing your story here!!