Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Day 10

Today's Lesson:

My thoughts do not mean anything.
This is just slightly different from a previous lesson which said "these" thoughts do not mean anything. As I was practicing that idea by looking at objects and people around me, now I'm working on personalizing the lesson with any random thoughts that come into my mind.

What I've found really interesting about this re-training of my mind is the awareness that it brings to what would have been random "stuff" in my head before. I use a similar idea in some of the training I conduct, including the training I'm doing this week. We take 20 seconds and just listen to the voice in our heads - just to start noticing those 60,000 random thoughts. That's the first step to being able to do something with those thoughts - noticing them. Again I'm reminded of The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz where he talks about "domestication" and how we almost mindlessly agree with the programming from our childhood, and about how the thoughts in our heads have either a "victim" or a "villain" voice to them. Just noticing which voice is usually speaking is like turning on a light in a dark room. As I can start to realize that my thoughts really mean nothing when I can be objective about them, I can then create new opportunities free from those past judgments and agreements.

Miracles I've noticed:

Last night's Course study group was amazing as we gathered to share what we've observed over our first week of collective study. In talking with individuals both before and after our study, I was delighted to be able to share my observations, but even more delighted to hear how this new way of looking at the world is affecting not only those of us in the study group, but our families and those around each of us through our work. People mentioned that they have had fewer disputes or arguments with spouses and co-workers, how they are noticing what is coming up for them much more than they might have before, including the ease or difficulty they are having with reading the lessons and the text. When we can remind each other that our thoughts mean nothing - and own that for ourselves - we join this brotherhood and sisterhood of support and love that is truly remarkable.

We also talked last night about the distinctions some of us are feeling compared to the feelings we have had around our traditional religious upbringing. This dialogue and study just feels so right and for many of us that's very different from the feelings of guilt and shame many of us felt as Sunday school children growing up. And that in itself might produce guilt based on our past way of seeing. "If it feels good, it must be bad" seems to be the way many of us were raised, so this seems more like a chance to unlearn first. This is why the Course seems to make so much sense to us. It truly is a "re-membering" opportunity - or a chance to see how much we can create when we come together rather than separate as our traditional religious upbringing may have taught us.

I am also much more present to the dialogue in the classes I'm facilitating this week as I become more and more awake to the lessons each day. In each class I'm seeing how the energy with which we create our dialogue affects each member of the class and, even though there are some rather dire circumstances and realities to address with the class participants, we are able, together, to keep the spirit positive. I think that has everything to do with the energy I bring because of what I'm learning and remembering from the Course. It is truly a catalyst by which I'm able to shift my thoughts from fear to love, and the awareness these lessons provide is having amazing effects all around me. Thanks for being part of the dialogue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodee, thank you for the love and enthusiasm you bring to your group. I am filled with anticipation as we embark upon this new year. I so look forward to the insights and learning that I will gain from being with our group each week...in person and spirit. Thanks for the dialogue!
Michael

Jodee Bock said...

Michael: This has been - and will continue to be - one of the most significant journeys of this lifetime for me and I'm so grateful that you're part of it! Thanks for stopping by!