Monday, January 08, 2007

Day 8

Today's Lesson:

My mind is preoccupied with past thoughts.
As I think more about this lesson, it becomes more clear to me that the previous lessons make so much sense (if you are just reading today for the first time, you may want to go back and start from Day 1 to get the full effect). If my mind is cluttered with thoughts that have everything to do with past events and past judgments, it's no wonder I have a tough time being objective. If I can remember that my mind, in the best case, is blank, that opens the way for true vision and openness.

It's pretty profound to consider that any thought I have about any person, place, thing, or experience is because I have a preconception about it based on what I already know about it from the past. Just acknowledging that this is true opens up huge space for creation.

Miracles I've noticed:

Since it's only 5:53 a.m. as I write this today, I haven't noticed too many miracles yet. But thinking about today's lesson, I'm really going to notice when past thoughts cloud the present for me. I'm training out of town today and singing with my chorus in Minneapolis tonight, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to notice the miracles. I'll update this post when I write tomorrow morning, so stay tuned!

UPDATE:

The training went amazingly well. We talked there about some of these concepts, even though this is not what the training is about. In one section we spend 20 seconds listening to the voice in our heads to show that humans have 60,000 random thoughts during any given day and if we're listening to that voice, we're not present (in the present) with people we should be communicating with. This added dimension I'm able to provide because I'm consciously being present and working not to be preoccupied with past thoughts gives them a different experience in the training, which was very evident by the feedback they provided on the spot. I'll look forward to being awake to the possibilities of the present during the rest of the training!

No comments: