Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 236

Today's Lesson:

I rule my mind, which I alone must rule.

I have a kingdom I must rule. At times, it does not seem I am its king at all. It seems to triumph over me, and tell me what to think, and what to do and feel. And yet it has been given me to serve whatever purpose I perceive in it. My mind can only serve. Today I give its service to the Holy Spirit to employ as He sees fit. I thus direct my mind, which I alone can rule. And thus I set it free to do the Will of God.

Father, my mind is open to your Thoughts, and closed today to every thought but Yours. I rule my mind, and offer it to You. Accept my gift, for it is Yours to me.

Miracles I'm noticing:

I wonder how many times a day I say "I think," as in "I think the blue one looks better," or "I think this is the way it goes," or "I think what we should do is ..." My friend Michael says that he used to add the words "I think" at the end of statements when he was a little boy because it could get him off the hook when he was not telling the truth.

Isn't it odd that we say "I think" so much more than we actually do think! We really have gotten into the habit of using those two words to help us try out opinions when we're really not sure or when we want someone else's opinion instead.

What if we really practiced and honed our mental muscles? How much more actual thinking might we be able to do? And today's lesson shows us that thinking is an inside job - and we've got the best Partner in Thought that we could ever imagine. If we alone rule our minds - not the TV commercials or our friends or our parents or our spouses or our kids or our bosses or the government or the church or anyone else - what might we conjure up when we give the service of our minds to the Holy Spirit?

No one has control of your mind but you, no matter what excuses you come up with for not thinking for yourself. If we open our minds to God's Thoughts and allow the Holy Spirit to work through us, our minds really can only serve.

What a great "thought" for the day!

No comments: