Thursday, August 23, 2007

Day 235

Today's Lesson:

God in His mercy wills that I be saved.

I need but look upon all things that seem to hurt me, and with perfect certainty assure myself, "God wills that I be saved from this," and merely watch them disappear. I need but keep in mind my Father's Will for me is only happiness, to find that only happiness has come to me. And I need but remember that God's Love surrounds His Son and keeps his sinlessness forever perfect, to be sure that I am saved and safe forever in His Arms. I am the Son He loves. And I am saved because God in His mercy wills it so.

Father, Your Holiness is mine. Your Love created me, and made my sinlessness forever part of You. I have no guilt nor sin in me, for there is none in You.

Miracles I'm noticing:

I watched a bit of a 20/20 expose on TV last night - and it was very strange to realize that I've watched very little TV in the past few weeks. It felt kind of awkward, but was nice to just kick back for a little while.

The show I caught was about a guy from Puerto Rico who claims he is the second coming of Jesus Christ. He has quite a following of Hispanic people, but is expanding his church to the U.S. now via Florida and Texas.

I found it really interesting that the reporter was doing his best to "expose" this as a fraud and to uncover the corruption. But the "Jesus" guy was really open about everything. He's got a criminal record and his second marriage just ended in divorce. He's a real guy, but he claims, not only that he's Jesus, but that he's the ONE God, too.

What was very interesting to me as I watched this, given what we're studying here, is that we really all are Sons of God, and Jesus made no bones about the fact that anything He did we, too, can do - and more. So it didn't bother me as much as I thought it might that this guy was claiming to be Jesus. After all, aren't we all in some sense?

But the part that I could see as disturbing was when he was trashing the Church - literally ripping up pictures of the pope and rallying against organized religion. And his claims - and the claims of little kids who were interviewed - that he is the one and only God didn't sit right with me. A little kid who was interviewed on camera said something like "yeah, my mom and dad drink and smoke and party, but it's OK - so does God." So that boy has a very different picture of God than I did of the old man with the white beard and robe who sits on a throne in the clouds.

I guess the point is that I've become much more open to new ways of thinking of religion and spirituality ... but I still do have a point at which I need to draw the line for myself. I'm all about choosing love over fear and spirit over ego - but I'm not sure I can believe that one human can represent and embody the one God.

The gratitude I have is that I can be more open-minded about people - without losing my own beliefs.

If you want to see more about this story, click here.

No comments: