Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 286

Today's Lesson:

The hush of Heaven holds my heart today.

Father, how still today! How quietly do all things fall in place! This is the day that has been chosen as the time in which I come to understand the lesson that there is no need that I do anything. In You is every choice already made. In You has every conflict been resolved. In You is everything I hope to find already given me. Your peace is mine. My heart is quiet, and my mind at rest. You Love is Heaven, and Your Love is mine.

The stillness of today will give us hope that we have found the way, and travelled far along it to a wholly certain goal. Today we will not doubt the end which God Himself has promised us. We trust in Him, and in our Self, Who still is one with Him.

Miracles I'm noticing:

Yesterday I worked with a client to help them with a refresher on some personal accountability training I conducted there this past year. I met with three different groups of employees for 2-hour blocks to answer any questions and help them remember some of the principles of the training.

Two of the groups were very positive, saying they had seen changes in the entire workforce since the training - people had become more aware of a shift in attitude, and a reduction in blame. The third group as a whole said they had not seen much difference in the attitudes and that they were upset with management because of a change in the profit sharing which had happened nearly 5 years before.

This group was bitter and resentful and felt as if they were doing all the work in the company and management was taking all the credit. It was a completely different energy than either of the other two groups had. When I mentioned this to them, telling them that the other two groups had seen quite a big shift in the attitudes, they said they were the only honest group then.

Since I don't know much about the details which would have led to this attitude from this group of workers, I was able to be objective in my coaching; however, there came a point where I told the workers that there would be no point in my trying to teach them anything new with the closed minds I was experiencing from them. I surprised myself with my calmness and my commitment to opening their minds. From a bitter and resentful beginning, we were able to move the energy in the room to a little more receptive end.

The lesson for me was a direct and blatant mirror which showed me how I used to be as an employee at my last job. In fact, I was able to tell this group about myself in that situation, which seemed to open them up to me a little bit. I saw myself in their anger and frustration, and that was what allowed me to ask them whether or not they were ready to let down their guard a little bit and listen to some new information.

I think we made some strides, although I sense this group has a long way to go. I can imagine what it must be like to carry that resentment and anger all the time, never letting yourself be vulnerable and open to letting go because it will look like giving in.

The lesson was for me and I'm grateful for the awareness I have which allowed me to see that. That awareness worked to help me as I attended my nephew's football game last night on the way home from the training. I sat between my sister and brother-in-law and that's a vantage point I don't get very often at sporting events.

My first job out of college was a sports editor at a weekly newspaper, so my experience viewing games or matches was on the field or the court, never in the stands. Since then, I've almost always been on the sidelines of live games as a statistician (I do that for 2 men's and 2 women's college teams in my community).

In the stands I was able to notice how nothing the refs or the coaches or the other players did was good enough for my brother-in-law. They didn't throw the ball enough to my nephew, the refs didn't notice all the plays that interfered with my nephew's team, and the coaches just weren't assertive enough. I noticed that my sister would jump up and cheer and dance and laugh and assert herself in a way that earlier in my life would have made me embarrassed. I noticed how neither of their behaviors affected me as they would have a couple of years ago, and I gave a silent blessing to each of them as I relished in my gratitude for my awareness and for who they are in my life.

For me the entire day was a miracle.

What do you notice in your own life?

No comments: