Monday, February 12, 2007

Day 43

Today's Lesson:

God is my Source. I cannot see apart from Him.
Today we begin to understand the distinction between perception and knowledge. Perception is not an attribute of God. God's realm is the realm of knowledge. Perception is what we think we see through the body's eyes. Knowledge is what we Know because of God. God has given us the Holy Spirit to act as the Mediator between perception and knowledge. Without this link with God, our perception would have replaced knowledge forever in our minds. With this link with God, our perception will become so changed and purified that it will lead to knowledge.

We are also encouraged to use three five-minute practice periods today, one as early and one as late as possible in the day. This Course demonstrates how important it is to be quiet and Know our Source. The lesson assures us that our perception will be changed and purified - but we have to slow down and be still.

Miracles I'm noticing:

I'm becoming more aware all the time of the importance of stillness and quietness in my life. All the great teachers and authors who speak of our link to spirituality in any area of our lives tell us that meditation and stillness are essential to our whole person growth. I find that as I start to get very busy, I'm given subtle and not-so-subtle reminders that stillness is an essential part of my own personal growth (see a previous post about my experience with the highway patrolman).

Today's lesson proves - in the spiritual sense - something I've been teaching in my manufacturing training, and shows how everything is connected. One of the quotes I've been using for the past 4 years in my Job Relations training comes from an HR group in Minnesota. It says:

We are measured not by what we are, but by the perception of what we seem to be; not by what we do, but by how we appear to do it.
Notice the word "perception." Today we learn that perception is not an attribute of God - it is our human way of seeing. God Knows. We perceive. I think the best way to get beyond perception - ours or others' - is to have a conversation. When we can be very aware of our intention in any given moment, and are certain that our intention is loving and, as today's lesson tells us, through God as our Source - we can deal with our own and others' perception much differently than if we saw perception the same as we know knowledge.

What do you see as the distinction between perception and knowledge in your own life? How might these distinctions move you to a higher level of understanding?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodee:

It’s actually August 10 now, and I have been reading your entries from January and working my way forward, a few each day, as a way of familiarizing myself with the ACIM material. I thought I’d comment on your Day 43 entry, here, but don’t know if you’ll actually see it.

When I first read that perception was not an attribute of God I had to think about it awhile. Why wouldn’t God utilize perception?

Then I realized that the functioning of perception requires a perspective of separation; something “apart” to be perceived. But since God is all and in all, (omniscient) the reality of all things are already completely and directly known from “within.” That makes the necessity of spying something from across the room, for example, a comparatively inefficient second option.

Here’s an interesting thought on the topic of perception from The Nature of Personal Reality, by Jane Roberts (channeling an entity called Seth—as I pointed out in my Day 216 note to you):

“You project your thoughts, feelings, and expectations outward, then you perceive them as the outside reality. When it seems to you that others are observing you, you are observing yourself from the standpoint of your own projections.”

A bit of a twist on the Minnesota HR viewpoint!

Dennis

Anonymous said...

...Oops, I meant "omnipresent."

Jodee Bock said...

Dennis:

Thank you for your keen observation and your interest in ACIM! It has really changed my life, as I'm now in my third year of studying it. You have a great perspective and I love your willingness to share what you're learning and observing. That's what this blog is all about!

I've heard so much about the Seth books - I really need to get them! I've ready Esther Hicks' work with Abraham, and I'm guessing it's similar.

So where are you an HR professional in Minnesota? It would be great to hook up sometime since I'm in North Dakota!

Anonymous said...

Jodee, I'm not an HR professional, or in Minnesota, (GA) my comment was in contrasting the Seth quote to the “HR group in Minnesota’s” viewpoint you referenced in your blog entry that day—the main difference being where one believes the source of one’s power resides.

Sorry for not being more clear on that.

If you’re interested in Seth, I would highly recommend “The Nature of Personal Reality,” it wasn’t the first Seth book, but it was specifically written (dictated by Seth) to be understood and applied on a practical level. It’s very well presented and complete in itself, although “The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events” is a logical follow-on if you want to understand THAT dynamic more thoroughly.

These books originally came out in the early 70’s, and so predate the Abraham stuff. I’m not as familiar with Abraham, but from what I’ve read and listened to so far, Seth is still an easy first choice (just checkout the positive reviews for “TNOPR” on Amazon).

Dennis