Friday, February 02, 2007

Day 33

Today's Lesson:

There is another way of looking at the world.
Today's lesson shows us that we can shift our perception of the world, both inside and outside ourselves. Whenever anything tempts us to become disturbed, we are to think about the situation and say to ourselves: "There is another way of looking at this." Merely remembering today's idea the instant we become aware of distress will be a great reminder that we are actually inventing the world we see.

Miracles I'm noticing:

This reminds me of a video training program called "Everyday Creativity." It is narrated by DeWitt Jones, a photographer from the National Geographic. The premise is that there is always more than one right answer. He shows how the same beautiful photograph takes on a completely different dimension by simply changing lenses. It's a great analogy to reinforce today's lesson.

Since my opportunity to see miracles this week happens to be through the lens of my current training situation, I'm reminded how the training we're doing calls for each participant to look at more than one possible action each time he/she works on solving a problem with a person he/she supervises. We may think our initial reaction to anything is the only way to see the situation, but today's lesson tells us there is another way to see it as well.

I'm thinking now of our Tuesday evening Course meeting in which I was upset about my mother sending me information about her church. When I know that there is another way of looking at the world, I can see how easy it is to shift away from upset in that situation, too. One thing I absolutely love about this work is that it is so transferable - and it sticks. I remember the lessons so well and can always see immediate applications. Each week I get a chance to reinforce my learning with a dedicated group of close friends. What better way to learn! Is there something we can take from this experience and transfer to classroom education? Hmmmm ....

I'll be preparing a business plan for my business this next week, and one thing I want to include is a plan for taking the transformational opportunities my company will be offering to businesses and offer it to schools as well. I think I'll include something about my experiences in adult learning here and see whether it might apply to students, too. All we need to do is to realize that there is another way of looking at traditional education.

No comments: