Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Day 73

Today's Lesson:

I will there be light.

Today's idea shows us that if we share a will with God, this would not be the same as the ego's idle wishes. The ego's idle wishes make nothing that is real. Idle wishes and grievances are partners or co-makers in picturing the world we see. The ego needs us to hold on to grievances in order to maintain its hold on us. The ego even puts people in our lives who seem to attack us and call for "righteous" judgment. These figures stand between our awareness and our brothers' reality. When we pay attention to these ego figures, we are not able to know our brothers or our Self.

In this exchange of guilt that is traded back and forth, grievances gain momentum with each exchange. This could not possibly be the Will of God. God did not create disaster for His Children. Creation is the Will of Both together. Would God create a world that kills Himself?

The light that is in our will does not oppose the Will of God. The light that shines upon this world reflects our will, and so it must be in ourselves that we look for that light.

Our picture of the world can only mirror what is within each of us. Grievances darken our minds, and we look out on a darkened world. Forgiveness lifts the darkness, reasserts our will, and lets us look upon a world of light. As we determine what it is we really want - which is NOT to be in hell or to weep or suffer - we see that this barrier that stands between us and our salvation is very thin. All we need to do is forget the ego's arguments and remember the Spirit's promise.

Miracles I'm noticing:

Today's lesson is HUGE for me ... and I've had an amazing breakthrough with this issue regarding my mother and Christianity. As I read through today's lesson and thought about the entire sleepless night I've just spent with idle wishes and grievances and "righteous" judgments, it has occurred to me why I have resisted the light so much and it really is as simple as today's lesson: I will there be light. This is how God works in mysterious ways: He ALWAYS and in all ways puts the lesson in front of us when we are open to receiving it.

I had so many messages going through my mind last night as I obsessed about this issue and one thing that I couldn't get out of my head is one of the songs my chorus is currently working on. It's a Gershwin tune from the '30s called "They All Laughed." Try as I might I couldn't get it out of my head. Then it occurred to me to really listen to the words of the song. They are:

"They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round. They all laughed when Edison recorded sound - on his gramophone. They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother when they said that man could fly. They told Marconi wireless was a phony, it's the same old cry."

And I started asking why they were laughing. Was it because it was funny? Because they were threatened? Because they wanted to be right? And then it occurred to me that I am THEY. There is no THEY - there is only US. I have a need to be right and it's hindering me from being who I AM. I'm living in my own potential instead of building my capacity, and that's the theme of my own book!

There was much more to my entire night of revelation, but suffice it to say that the miracle is allowing me to release myself from my need to be right and just - once and for all - trusting who I AM right now, today. As I forgive myself for my own judgment, I find that I have no ill feelings toward anything my mother might send me or tell me - it's my own judgment that has kept me stuck - my own "laughing."

I only need will there be light - it's as simple as that. That's surely a HUGE miracle for me!

No comments: