Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Day 65

Today's Lesson:

My only function is the one God gave me.
Today's idea reminds us that we have no function other than our commitment to salvation. The full acceptance of salvation as our only function entails two phases: the recognition of salvation as our function, and the relinquishment of all the other goals we have invented for ourselves.

We are encouraged to set aside 10 to 15 minutes for a more sustained practice period, in which we try to understand and accept what the idea for the day really means. Today's lesson is really the key to all the the searching we have been doing since the beginning of time. As we learn to dedicate this time to the lesson of the day, we are to make no attempt to concentrate only on thoughts related to the idea for the day. As thoughts come to us, we are to note each one, with as little involvement or concern as possible, and dismiss each one by telling ourselves:

This thought reflects a goal that is preventing me from accepting my only function.
After a while, those distracting thoughts will not come as easily. Then we are to continue another minute, attempting to catch a few of the idle thoughts and then tell ourselves:

On this clean slate let my true function be written for me.
Today's lesson tells us that as we practice this technique with today's and subsequent lessons, what we currently see will be totally changed when we accept the ideas completely.

Miracles I'm noticing:

Well, it's probably not a miracle, but I'm noticing that my same old patterns get in the way more frequently than I want them to. This morning I am working with a client beginning at 7:30 a.m. and I need to be there at 7 a.m. to set up. Since I got home from Minneapolis last night/this morning at 1:30 a.m. and didn't get to sleep until about 2:00 a.m., I don't have too much extra time to do what I really want to do, which is begin to establish a set time each day to do these lessons with 15-minute commitments. However, I know that whatever I do will be perfect and as it needs to be. Letting go of the judgment that normally comes up for the recovering perfectionist that I am is a big step. And recognizing that I want to make this commitment is also big for me. That's a shift from fear to love and that's a miracle!

Another thing: I'm noticing that there are many more people open to conversations involving bigger small talk than I might have imagined - I just have to start. One of my chorus members is really interested in learning more about A Course in Miracles - and I don't even know how that came up initially. Last night she asked more about it, and I'm guessing she'll be reading the lesson here (hi Nancy!). I am so amazed at the shifts I'm seeing around me each day as I begin to open my eyes to the beauty and wonder of the world.

No comments: