Monday, March 05, 2007

Day 64

Today's Lesson:

Let me not forget my function.
Today's idea is a reminder to us not to let our physical self get in the way of our Spiritual Self. Our ego self wants us to see things through our physical eyes, but nothing the body's eyes seem to see can be anything but a form of temptation, since that is the purpose of the body. To the Holy Spirit, the world is a place where we learn to forgive ourselves what we think of as our sins.
Our last few lessons have told us that our function here is to be the light of the world, a function given to us by God. It is only the arrogance of the ego that leads us to question this, and only the fear of the ego that tempts us to regard ourselves as unworthy of what God has assigned to us. The salvation of the world depends on our forgiveness, because through it the Son of God (which is each of us) escapes from all illusions and from all temptation.

We can only be truly happy by fulfilling the function God has given us. Our function is to be happy by using the means by which happiness becomes inevitable. Therefore, by choosing to fulfill our function, we are choosing to be happy.

Today's lesson reminds us that this is really a very simple choice. If you are new to meditation or find it difficult to slow down your mind, use today's lesson as a mantra whenever you can. Close your eyes and think of today's idea: "Let me not forget my function" or look around you and think to yourself "This is the world it is my function to save."

Miracles I'm noticing:

I am reminded today of Wayne Dyer's "trick" to meditating: he says to get in a minute or so of meditation whenever you are stopped at a red light. If you drive a lot, that can be a way to get in several minutes of meditation - and you'll always have someone behind you to tell you when the light turns green!

Remembering today's lesson - and really every day's lesson - and just using that as a mantra for meditation is a great way to remember the lesson and to start learning to be still. I find that I don't turn the radio or TV on nearly as much as I used to at home, and am getting much more quiet time that way (I'm still pretty addicted to XM radio in my car, however!).

I notice that as I become quieter, listen more and talk less, my energy attracts people much more often than it ever used to. Marianne Williamson talks about magnetic and dynamic energy and equates dynamic energy to the masculine and magnetic energy to the feminine. She says we all need both but many of us are more compelled by one or the other. As we can achieve a better balance of energy, we will see different results in our lives. It's true in my life and as I become aware of the effects, I can trace them to the cause most of the time. As I concentrate on cause instead of effect, I find that the results are much more happiness-inducing than stress-inducing and that is surely a miracle.

Just think of the word "because." If we really took that to heart when we think we need to have an excuse for something we think or say or do, we can see that we are really understanding our own advice: "BE CAUSE" instead of at the mercy of the effect.

Let's all practice today's lesson "Let me not forget my function" as we think about being at CAUSE instead of at EFFECT. As we all practice together, we find we can't fail! What a miracle!

No comments: