Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 205

Today's Review:

I am not a body. I am free.
For I am still as God created me.


(185) I want the peace of God.

The peace of God is everything I want. The peace of God is my one goal; the aim of all my living here, the end I seek, my purpose and my function and my life, while I abide where I am not at home.

I am not a body. I am free.
For I am still as God created me.

Miracles I'm noticing:

If I could just embrace today's review, how different the world would look! I almost wrote "If everyone could just embrace today's review, how different the world would look" and then it occurred to me that I must be the change I wish to see in the world. There is no world "out there" - it is only "in here."

Great reminder for me.

I had the pleasure of spending yesterday with a fine group of people in a planning session for our one our affiliate consulting companies. We were brainstorming the future trends in training and development on the decks and patios at one of the associates' homes. It was a wonderful and brain-stimulating day. The founder of the company, now retired, had some amazing words of wisdom to share at the end of the day. I'll do my best to paraphrase here.

He said he wasn't sure why he decided to come to the retreat because he didn't think he'd have anything to add, but he wanted to tell us about his journey the past 3 months. His wife died of cancer about 3 months ago, and since then he had been diagnosed himself with bladder cancer. They went in and removed the tumor, which was a success. But in the process, his doctors encouraged him to "get his affairs in order." He said his wife had done a great job of getting all the papers in one big bundle before she died (he hadn't gotten to them yet), but he felt relatively certain that he had done that. So once the operation was over, he sold both his cars and bought a brand new Porche (it is a fine-looking machine!). His son asked him if he was crazy, but he told his son that was how he wanted to "get his affairs in order." He knows firsthand of the brevity of life, and he wants to live his life.

He finally got around to going through the papers his wife had left him and on the top of the stack was a note from her telling him that, without his knowing, she had taken out a $100,000 life insurance policy, and now he would be able to buy the Porche he always wanted. He told us there are no coincidences - and the moral of the story is to do the unexpected. He told us that now we had done all this planning and had a good idea of the next step. His advice was to do the unexpected. Do what no one else thinks practical or even possible. That just might be the "right" thing to do.

Miracle? I think so.

No comments: