Sunday, July 15, 2007

Day 196

Today's Lesson:

It can be but myself I crucify.


When this is firmly understood and kept in full awareness, we will not attempt to harm ourselves, nor make our bodies slave to vengeance. We will not attack ourselves, and we will realize that to attack another is but to attack ourselves. We will be free of the insane belief that to attack a brother saves ourselves. And we will understand his safety is our own, and in his healing we are healed.

Perhaps at first we will not understand how mercy, limitless and with all things held in its sure protection, can be found in the idea we practice for today. It may, in fact, appear to be a sign that punishment can never be escaped because the ego, under what it sees as threat, is quick to cite the truth to save its lies. Yet must it fail to understand the truth it uses thus. But we can learn to see these foolish applications, and deny the meaning they appear to have.

Thus do we also teach our minds that we are not an ego. For the ways in which the ego would distort the truth will not deceive us longer. We will not believe we are a body to be crucified. And we will see within today's idea the light of resurrection, looking past all thoughts of crucifixion and of death, to thoughts of liberation and of life.

Today's idea is one step we take in leading us from bondage to the sate of perfect freedom. Let us take this step today, that we may quickly go the way salvation shows us, taking every step in its appointed sequence, as the mind relinquishes it burdens one by one. It is not time we need for this. It is but willingness. For what would seem to need a thousand years can easily be done in just one instant by the grace of God.

The dreary, hopeless thought that we can make attacks on others and escape ourselves has nailed us to the cross. Perhaps it seemed to be salvation. Yet it merely stood for the belief the fear of God is real. And what is that but hell? Who could believe his Father is his deadly enemy, separate from him, and waiting to destroy his life and blot him from the universe, without the fear of hell upon his heart?

Such is the form of madness we believe, if we accept the fearful thought we can attack another and be free ourselves. Until this form is changed, there is no hope. Until we see that this, at least, must be entirely impossible, how could there be escape? The fear of God is real to anyone who thinks this thought is true. And he will not perceive its foolishness, or even see that it is there, so that it would be possible to question it.

To question it at all, its form must first be changed at least as much as will permit fear of retaliation to abate, and the responsibility returned to some extent to us. From there we can at least consider if we want to go along this painful path. Until this shift has been accomplished, we can not perceive that it is but our thoughts that bring us fear, and our deliverance depends on us.

Our next steps will be easy, if we take this one today. From there we go ahead quite rapidly. For once we understand it is impossible that we be hurt except by our own thoughts, the fear of God must disappear. We cannot then believe that fear is caused without. And God, Whom we had thought to banish, can be welcomed back within the holy mind He never left.

Salvation's song can certainly be heard in the idea we practice for today. If it can but be us we crucify, we did not hurt the world, and need not fear its vengeance and pursuit. Nor need we hide in terror from the deadly fear of God projection hides behind. The thing we dread the most is our salvation. We are strong, and it is strength we want. And we are free, and glad of freedom. We have sought to be both weak and bound, because we feared our strength and freedom. Yet salvation lies in them.

There is an instant in which terror seems to grip our minds so wholly that escape appears quite hopeless. When we realize, once and for all, that it is us we fear, the mind perceives itself as split. And this had been concealed while we believed attack could be directed outward, and returned from outside to within. It seemed to be an enemy outside we had to fear. And thus a god outside ourselves became our mortal enemy; the source of fear.

Now, for an instant, is a murdered perceived within us, eager for our death, intent on plotting punishment for us until the time when it can kill at last. Yet in this instant is the time as well in which salvation comes. For fear of God has disappeared. And we can call on Him to save us from illusions by His Love, calling Him Father and ourselves His Sons. Pray that the instant may be soon, - today. Step back from fear, and make advance to love.

There is no Thought of God that does not go with us to help us reach that instant, and to go beyond it quickly, surely and forever. When the fear of God is gone, there are no obstacles that still remain between us and the holy peace of God. How kind and merciful is the idea we practice! Give it welcome, as we should, for it is our release. It is indeed but us our minds can try to crucify. Yet our redemption, too, will come from us.

Miracles I'm noticing:

I got an email from a friend yesterday telling me that she was upset and hurt that I hadn't returned her previous emails and phone calls. She was wondering what she had done to upset me. This came as a real surprise to me, because I had not realized that I owed her return calls/emails. She had requested something of me in the email and I did what she requested, but I guess I didn't respond. There is absolutely nothing wrong in my mind. But I know that nothing comes into my space unless I attract it there, so this got me thinking about how many times I might take people and situations for granted. As I become aware of new information, I can forgive myself for what I didn't know, but make new choices with the new information.

One thing I've been wondering recently is when/if others attract me into their spaces for their own learning as well. I have to believe that there are others in this game with me; however, according to Zero Limits, I am 100% responsible for everything that comes into my space. So, in the above example, my responsibility would be to say "I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you. I love you." That cleaning is all that's necessary. I'm sure there's more to it - how do we interact with others in that space? - but that's my part in this for now.

When I see that I am involved and included in any of my fearful or attack thoughts, it should become easier to alter my thinking from fear to love. God is not fear - God is Love. In the same instant fear comes into my mind, love and salvation can also come in. God will always be there to save us from illusions. We need only believe that this instant can come right now. And it can. That's the miracle!

No comments: