Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Day 149

Today's Review:

My mind holds only what I think with God.


(137) When I am healed I am not healed alone.
(138) Heaven is the decision I must make.

Miracles I'm noticing:

I'm preparing for a presentation I'll be giving in Florida next week for manufacturing supervisors. I'm going to tell this group how I'm using some training that's been around since the '40s to create positive cultures within organizations. What I'm noticing in the training is that, although created by the U.S. government during WWII, it is still very relevant today. So often we look for the next best thing when we haven't really mastered the fundamentals in our lives, and this training proves that.

It's really not a lot different from what we're learning in this course. We are learning here that focusing on the past keeps us from living in the present. When we concentrate on guilt, we end up being in a condemning mindset, and thus link the future to the past. When we listen to our ego, we believe in guilt and punishment and retaliation. When we manage our people from that mindset, we find ourselves in more of a command-and-control situation, with very little room for light and creativity and the best of the people we manage.

The training I'm going to be talking about in Florida really does have a component of light and inspiration built in to it; but when we're not looking for that, we will find whatever we need to support our egos.

When I think about Transcendental Meditation, which is what I was learning about this past weekend in Fairfield, Iowa, I am reminded that this technology is certainly not new. TM has been around since 1958, but meditation in general is probably as ancient as humankind. It's not really about the newest and best and shiniest and trendiest stuff ... it's about what works.

I have learned so much recently from people who were obviously way ahead of their times, but who knew things that are still relevant and, in fact, more people are finally ready to hear. One of the presentations this past weekend introduced us to wisdom from the 1800s, which really reflected the attitude of TM.

We heard literature from Ralph Waldo Emerson, Alfred Lord Tennyson, and Emily Dickinson from the 1800s; we heard about Einstein (1879-1955) who said "...neither evolution, nor destiny, only being." We heard about Eugene Ionesco (1912-1994) - a playwright of the absurd, who said "I became one with the one essential reality" and "No more fear, no more anxiety, only calm, certainty, joy."

These great minds had several characteristics in common. They had an inward direction of awareness, they experienced profound happiness and bliss, they concentrated on unity and eternity, they spoke of reality and truth, they told about naturalness and familiarity and they expressed the natural capacity of the human mind to have this experience.

It reminds me that our natural capacity - our most comfortable state of mind is our state of being, not of doing. Yesterday's text told us "make no one fearful, for his guilt is yours, and by obeying the ego's harsh commandments you bring its condemnation on yourself, and you will not escape the punishment it offers those who obey it."

Is this not great advice for supervisors, managers, and leaders within our organizations? Why are we looking for new programs and theories and training when the foundational, fundamental human capacity for happiness and bliss is already here?

Realizing that we don't have to learn a new system or program or theory takes so much pressure off the world. Remembering that our natural state is toward this harmony if we could just be still and listen seems almost too good to be true. But what we have been doing in our world isn't working. Are we finally ready to listen to what we Know?

That's my miracle for today - and for the rest of my life. When I am healed I am not healed alone. The entire universe will be affected by my decision to choose Heaven.

No comments: