Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Day 125

Today's Lesson:

The world I see holds nothing that I want.


If we believe today's thought, we are saved from years of misery, from countless disappointments, and from hopes that turn to bitter ashes of despair. No one but must accept this thought as true, if he would leave the world behind and soar beyond its petty scope and little ways.

Each thing we value here is but a chain that binds us to the world, and it will serve no other end but this. For everything must serve the purpose we have given it, until we see a different purpose there. The only purpose worthy of our mind this world contains is that we pass it by, without delaying to perceive some hope where there is none.

Today we practice letting go all thought of values we have given to the world. We leave it free of purposes we gave its aspects and its phases and its dreams. We hold it purposeless within our minds, and loosen it from all we wish it were.

If we give this thought ten minutes rest three times today, we will not value anything we see as much as when we looked at it before. Our whole perspective on the world will shift by just a little, every time we let our minds escape its chains. When we think we see some value in an aspect or an image of the world, refuse to lay this chain upon our minds, but tell ourselves with quiet certainty:

This will not tempt me to delay myself.
The world I see holds nothing that I want.


Miracles I'm noticing:

As I teach my classes in Job Relations, I realize that everything I'm learning here has a place in the world - even in classes for manufacturing supervisors. Yesterday our class was about interpersonal communication and its importance for manufacturing supervisors - and really for anyone in the world. I find that as I read the lessons here some of this creeps in to my teaching without my even intending it. I find that I learn what I'm teaching when I'm open to being authentic about it. I talk about fighting the 2 D's (defensiveness and debating) with the 2 L's (listening and learning) and I find that it has roots in this material. The 2 D's represent the ego and the 2 L's represent the spirit. Everything translates.

I find that my teaching is cumulative - I learn each time I teach. Nothing feels stale to me even though I teach it many times because the audiences are all different. They give me their attention and I realize how very important the lessons are. I think we are all teaching all the time, no matter what our occupation. As we can shift our own lessons from attack to love, from fear to love, from anything to love, we can see the shift first in ourselves, and then in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodee, this lesson is so significant for me.
Many of the others are incredible ideas but this one ups the ante, puts the responsibility squarely on my shoulders and then poses a challenge - Am I willing to give up everything I think I want and go all the way?

How often do we kid ourselves about our motives? I know for the longest time I wanted the realisation of God's Love not for itself but for what it could do for me - a better life, solve my problems, fix the world etc etc. When I heard Jesus' words,"seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." it was the second part of this sentence that got my attention not the first. And then in the next sentence, "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.", I see how so much of my attention was/is on my latest project or building my future life. This lesson is such a great leveler for me.

Somewhere in ACIM it says 'Salvation waits not on time nut on our willingness to accept Christ's Vision as the ONLY thing we want'. This is so true.

Thank you for reminding me Jodee.
With Love and best wishes.
Nick