Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Day 156

Today's Lesson:

I walk with God in perfect holiness.


Today's idea reminds us that sin is impossible. It promises there is no cause for guilt, and being causeless it does not exist. It follows surely from the basic thought so often mentioned in the text; ideas leave not their source. If this be true, how can we be apart from God? How could we walk the world alone and separate from our Source?

We are not inconsistent in the thoughts that we present in our curriculum. Truth must be true throughout, if it be true. It cannot contradict itself, nor be in parts uncertain and in others sure. God is what our life is. Where we are He is.

Yet where He is, there must be holiness as well as life. There is a light in us which cannot die; whose presence is so holy that the world is sanctified because of each of us. All things that live bring gifts to us, and offer them in gratitude and gladness at our feet.

The light in us is is what the universe longs to behold. This is the way salvation works. As we step back, the light in us steps forward and encompasses the world. It heralds not the end of sin in punishment and death. In lightness and in laughter is sin gone, because its quaint absurdity is seen. It is a foolish thought, a silly dream, no frightening, ridiculous perhaps, but who would waste an instant in approach to God Himself for such a senseless whim?

Yet each of us has wasted many, many years on just this foolish thought. The past is gone, with all its fantasies. They keep us bound no longer. The approach to God is near. And in the little interval of doubt that still remains, we may perhaps lose sight of our Companion, and mistake Him for the senseless, ancient dream that now is past.

"Who walks with me?" This question should be asked a thousand times a day, till certainty has ended doubting and established peace. Today let doubting cease. God speaks for us in answering our question with these words:

I walk with God in perfect holiness. I light the world, I light my mind and all the minds which God created one with me.


Miracles I'm noticing:

Today's text gives us a great idea to consider. Whenever we make decisions for ourselves, we are thinking destructively, and the decision will be wrong. Pretty cut and dried. We are not isolated; every decision is made for the entire universe. If we believe we are guilty, we will respond to guilt, because we think it is salvation, and will not refuse to see it and side with it. We believe that increasing guilt is self-protection, and we begin to live into what we don't want rather than what we do want.

We learned from our master teacher last week that guilt really gives us permission and somehow helps us justify repeating behaviors and actions that we know are not for the good of the universe.

Today's text goes on to say that there is nothing our will fails to provide that offers us anything of value. But because we do not understand our own will, the Holy Spirit quietly understands it for us and gives us what we want without effort, strain, or the impossible burden of deciding what we want and need alone.

This is a great reminder to me that I never have to be alone - in fact, whether or not I believe or remember or even want it, the Holy Spirit is with me, deciding for me when I can't decide for myself. It is inevitable that I will follow the Holy Spirit - it's just a matter of time when I see that for myself. And time really is irrelevant anyway.

I have written in my book "Truth = I am: that's all we need to know." It doesn't really matter what I say I am ... the truth is what I am. The text also says "Madness may be your choice, but not your reality.... Say to the Holy Spirit only, 'Decide for me,' and it is done."

Whenever we are in doubt what we should do, we are to think of His Presence in us, and tell ourselves this, and only this:

He leadeth me and knows the way, which I know not.
Yet He will never keep from me what He would have me learn.
And so I trust Him to communicate to me all that He knows for me.


Great reminder of how important it is to meditate, which is God talking to us.

No comments: